Mike and Dawn Menning serve with the Great Commission Utah which focuses on bringing the gospel to the people of polygamist groups.
July 24, 2018
Greetings to all,
Those of you who are not from this area, especially those of you from the Midwest who have been inundated with rain this year, might find these comments hard to believe. Saturday evening on our way to pick up Michael from his group home we ran into a short downpour of rain, it lasted about ten minutes. The air smelled clean and fresh. Though we were only a couple miles from our home we were hoping that we were receiving rain at our home as well. We found about ten drops when we arrived at home! You see if we get a total of a quarter inch during the summer months, that is good. At least the air smelled clean and that was refreshing!!!!! It all reminded me of living in the Midwest and smelling the clean air after a rain.
Here are a few highlights from last week:
- I had coffee with one of my mentee, Borbor. He is a great friend who cane from Liberia about a dozen years ago. He is really good at caring for Michael. He has taken him to our church when we and Mitch are gone for a weekend. We discussed helping him set up an a 501c3 non-profit corporation to help educate fatherless children in Liberia. Though he is not involved directly with ministry to the polygamy culture, Borbor prays for us and Great Commission Utah.
- I had lunch with Joe and Jennifer Filer and their two sons who have moved back to Utah to start ministering to people from the polygamy culture. I sharing with them what I know about how to minister to this population. I am so grateful that they have heard God's call to move back here and move into this ministry! Please pray that God will lead them as a family to the people He chooses. We praise God, He is hearing our call to send missionaries this way!!!! This family is so on fire for the Lord. It will be exiting to see how God will use them.
- I met with Jacob who also received God's call to start ministering to five friends who are from the Crick. My plan is to weekly or biweekly meet with him, mentoring him and teaching him the history of the people of the Crick and on how to carry on this ministry. Please pray that the Holy Spirit will work ahead of Jacob as he witness to his five friends.
We praise God for the encouraging report from Holding Out Help!
I received the following from Tonia Tewell the director and founder HOH. "Putting this together for our board & thought you could use this encouragement. These are successes so far this year.
- 5 High school graduates1 GED
- 1 College graduate with a 3.7 GPA & got a job at a local bank
- 1 Boy that graduated from basic training, technical training & won most prestigious award in the Air Force
- 2 Weddings
- 2 New babies
- 1 lady won a much deserved car (check out our Face Book page) This lady was debilitated with anxiety & fear & spoke! Incredible!!)
- 5 people attended a women's retreat
- 2 youth attended SMCC camp
- 9 more people attending church and finding freedom in Christ!"
MY EDUCATIONAL JOURNEY THROUGH UTAH
Several evenings ago good friends stopped over for the evening. The wife was raised in the culture and formerly was one of four wives. She talked about how her family (siblings) let her know that she is really not accepted in her family anymore. She said, "the polygamist culture hates two things above all else: first, when a former member becomes a born again believer. The second thing is when 'one of their own' mixes blood with a mongrel." She went on to explain that the nasty term "mongrel" is anyone of a mixed descent. Please pray for these folks to find the Lord.
Thanks for all your support!!
We praise God for continued blessing on the work to which He has called us.
In His service,
Marion "Mike" Menning
`1673 Parkridge Dr.
Salt Lake City, Utah 84121
Pay Pal: firstname.lastname@example.org