Discipleship and Outreach Ministries Coordinator
Job Summary – The OPCRC Discipleship Coordinator is a part-time salary position. This person must have a heart for the Lord and a passion for building community in the local church. This individual will work closely with the Pastor of Discipleship and Outreach. Approximately four days per week (26-30 hours) with occasional hours on Sunday.
Spiritual Qualifications: This individual must be a member of OPCRC and have a servant attitude. This person shall attest to 1) a personal commitment to the Lordship of Jesus Christ 2) a mature faith and steadfast character 3) a reliance on the authority of Scripture and prayer
Professional Qualifications: The Discipleship Ministries Coordinator should possess organizational skills, the ability to use Microsoft Word and Outlook, have a knowledge of, and/or willingness to learn how to use Google Sheets, basic Excel functions, the current OPCRC membership database management program, and the ability to help seek out, evaluate, and recommend curricula used in the various Discipleship ministries. This person should be outgoing, flexible, display personal initiative, and be good at follow-through. This person must have the ability to work well with other church staff and the membership of the OPCRC community.
Accountability: This individual will report directly to the Pastor of Discipleship and Outreach. Oversight of the ministry will be provided by the Lead Pastor, the Pastor of Administration and Congregational Care, and the Personnel Committee.
1. Discipleship Ministries: Provide Support to the Discipleship Ministries of OPCRC
New Member Assimilation
Assist with assimilation of new members by following up on visitor cards with phone calls and letters, field inquiries from potential members and direct them to the right staff member our church committee, orient new members to service opportunities, recruit new members to serve on committees or to participate in OPCRC ministries, help organize new member fellowship activities, help connect new members to a Small Group
Provide support for Small Group formation and administration in coordination with the lay leaders of our Small Group Ministry. (sample duties: publicity, record-keeping, place new members, identify potential leaders)
Bible Study Ministries
Support mid-week discipleship ministries like Women in the Word and Coffee Break with curriculum ideas and publicity as requested
Provide support to the College Ministry by helping coordinate College lunches and other college ministry activities
Recruit and provide oversight and support of the Caregivers—persons who arrange for meals and other kinds of caring in coordination with the Shepherding Elders.
2. Outreach Ministries: Provide Support to the Outreach Ministries of OPCRC
- Recruit and schedule volunteers to serve on Wednesday afternoons
- Maintain inventory and shop for/pick up food, or arrange for volunteers to do this
Work with Car Show committee in planning and recruiting for the annual Car Show Preschool Benefit
Christmas Baskets and Gifts of Hope
Work with the church committees in planning, recruiting, and executing the Christmas baskets and Gifts of Hope projects
Other Outreach Ministries
- Bethshan Picnic: recruit volunteers for the annual Bethshan Picnic.
- PADS monthly outreach: we provide dinner on the 2nd Tuesday of every month at one of the PADS locations. PADS will need to know soon if we can commit to serving monthly.
- Bethshan worship services (once a month coordinate volunteers to lead a “service”-share scripture, a short message, and worship).
- All God’s People: we committed to serve annually in April –about 20 people go downtown and serve the homeless. These needs have been covered through small groups and other ministry teams such as Choir, Sunday School teachers etc.
- Roseland Christian Ministries: Help revitalize OPCRC’s service ministry at Roseland Christian Ministries
3. Volunteer Coordination
- Help connect members, both new and old, to service opportunities in the church and community
- Assist all service ministries with recruitment of volunteers, maintain lists of volunteers who have assisted in the past with various ministries
- Work on creative ways to publicize and keep service opportunities before the congregation
- Brainstorm with the pastors and staff about new kinds of outreach programs and fresh ways of motivating members of OPCRC to reach out with the Gospel of Jesus Christ in Word and Deed, and help form concrete plans to do this
4. Committee Duties
Serve on the Adult Serve Committee, Car Show Committee and the Evangelism Committee (when one is formed)
5. Cooperate with Other Staff on Ministry Projects
From time to time, help staff with preparations for Advent, VBS, or other churchwide events
6. General Office Duties
- Take turn in being available to greet visitors, answer the phone, transfer calls, clear messages
- Other duties as assigned, e.g. help create and maintain various schedules, proofread and insert bulletin, assist with the Council packets