COVID 19 PROTOCOLS UPDATE #2 (March 19)
We are so glad that so many of you were able to join us via live stream last Sunday! In light of the most recent events surrounding the COVID-19 outbreak, the Administrative Elders have determined that we should be prepared to meet only online for the foreseeable future. We will also be suspending any face-to-face meetings during the week until further notice.
Although we are not meeting in person, we are still a community of believers that needs each other and needs connection. With that in mind, we want you to think of church as still being “open,” just in a virtual sense of the word. We’d love to connect with you during this time of social distancing! Thanks to technology, we have several opportunities to stay connected. We are already grateful for the ways that we have heard of church members expressing care and love for each other during this week of social distancing. We pray that it continues in the days and weeks and months to come. As we continue operating in unprecedented times, here are just a few ways that you can stay connected to our OPCRC family:
- Participate in Sunday worship from home. While we cannot gather together in person, we believe it is important to worship together and hear the Word of God. We will be hosting live stream services on Sundays at 8:30 and 10:45 am. We will also be sharing a brief message at 6:00 pm on Sunday evening. These can be viewed on Facebook and YouTube.
- Call the church staff if you need something or have a question during the week. Even though we won’t be physically present in the office, we are still available to talk to you! Each of us will be checking our emails as well, if you’d rather communicate with us that way. All of the OPCRC staff members’ cell numbers and emails will be listed at the bottom for your reference.
- Visit our Facebook page! Leave a comment, start a conversation. Post an encouraging thought or Bible verse you’ve come across. We hope to be able to begin sharing some short messages from Pastor Derek next week, and we’d love you to tune in and dialogue with us!
- Find us on Instagram: orlandparkchurch. This is another way we can stay connected and encourage one another.
- Call each other. Check in with other church members. A 5-minute phone call to someone could really mean a lot. Maybe you’ll find out a need and some way that you can be a help or encouragement to someone.
- Set up a Zoom conference call. Are you missing meeting with your Coffee Break group, prayer group, or your small group? Set up a conference call with Zoom – it’s easy and it’s free. You can set up an account (Visit this link: https://zoom.us/) and host a meeting. All you need is your group members’ emails to send them an invitation to the meeting you are hosting, and you are ready to roll. If you are interested and setting this up and need additional assistance, call Denise Vander Plaats.
Some of you might be feeling anxious or worried during this time of uncertainty. This is understandable. But we can take comfort in knowing that our God is mighty and He is with us! As the Psalmist writes in Psalm 46:1-7:
“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way,
Though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,
Though its waters roar and foam,
Though the mountains tremble at its swelling.
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved;
God will help her when morning dawns.
The nations rage, the kingdoms totter;
He utters his voice, the earth melts.
The Lord of hosts is with us;
The God of Jacob is our fortress.”
Stay alert for more communication for any changes – we will be monitoring the situation closely and adjusting our response as needed. Below are our staff members’ contact information if you need to give one of us a call or email.
Pastor Derek Buikema: (708) 603-5819 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Pastor Dan Roeda: (630) 329-2135 | email@example.com
Dean Galemb: (708) 334-2734 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Gloria Kamp: (708) 471-0960 | email@example.com
Judy Kamp: (708) 710-1104 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Dori Summers: (312) 213-3297 | email@example.com
Denise Vander Plaats: (708) 220-6044 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Emma Vander Plaats: (708) 465-4112 | email@example.com
Becky Vande Kamp: (708) 601-7608 | firstname.lastname@example.org
-The Staff and Administrative Elders of OPCRC
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
COVID 19 PROTOCOLS UPDATE #1 (March 13)
1) Orland Park Christian Reformed Church will be gathering for worship ONLINE ONLY for Sunday, March 15, 2020. We will go live on Facebook and YouTube at our normal service times of 8:30 and 10:45am. The musicians will be participating as well. The services will look and feel similar to how they regularly do, you’ll just be participating from home rather than in our sanctuary.
2) We encourage you to gather with others to worship together with your family and/or a few friends during our Live-Stream worship services, making sure everyone gathering is healthy and at low risk for Covid-19 infection. A great way to participate in the service is to “like” the video that you’re watching, and interact by leaving comments on the service. Such actions will increase the reach of our service videos and allow more people to hear the message.
3) If you cannot watch the livestream at the appointed times, you can watch it after the livestream has ended on our church’s YouTube channel. To find us, go to https://www.youtube.com/user/OrlandWorship.
4) This is only for Sunday, March 15, 2020. We will be deciding week to week on how to proceed.
5) For the foreseeable future, all face-to-face ministries of and gatherings at OPCRC are suspended. This is to protect against infection within our church community and to give our staff time to disinfect solid surfaces.
6) Reasons and theological perspective? See below.
REASONS AND THEOLOGICAL PERSPECTIVE:
There are two main Scriptural reasons we have decided to suspend in-person services for the time being.
First, we’re called to care for the vulnerable within our congregation and communities. For many within OPCRC, becoming sick with COVID-19 won’t pose a serious risk, but we want to do whatever we can to prevent high-risk or vulnerable members of our congregation from being infected, and the best way to accomplish this is through social-distancing.
Second, our governor has declared a state of emergency for the entire state. Asking all institutions, groups, non-profits, etc. to limit face to face gatherings to no more than 250 people. Romans 13:1 says this: “Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.” Because we can still worship via live stream, and thus are not being asked to abandon our central purpose of the worship of the Lord God, we think it is best to submit to our ruling authorities, and worship online rather than in person.
Know that as long as Orland Park CRC is in existence we will never give up the worship of the Triune God or the preaching of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. In this unique time, we will simply participate in worship and preaching in a unique way.
1) Click the whole sentence to join us via Live-Stream on Sunday morning at 8:30 and 10:45am.
2) Please send this to anyone you believe might not have access to our electronic forms of announcements and communication.
3) There are online opportunities for you to continue to support your church with tithes and offerings or you are welcome to send them via the USPS to the church office at 7500 Sycamore Drive, Orland Park, IL 60462.
4) For more helpful resources on Church online during a time of pandemic, check out this helpful article from The Gospel Coalition: https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/church-online-coronavirus-age/
5) P.S. If you are unfamiliar with the process of joining us via LiveStream (online worship) and you want step by step instructions, please email us at email@example.com or call Denise Vander Plaats at (708) 220-6044 and we will get instructions to you.
-The Council, pastors, and staff of OPCRC